Healthy Lemon Slice
I gave the classic lemon slice a make-over. No butter or sugar here...
Just old-fashioned deliciousness and amazing flavour. I can pretty much guarantee you won't want to make the old version again. Even my husband agreed this is as good as what his grandma used to make - and he is a connoisseur in desserts.
Makes 9 small square slices
159 calories per slice (667 kilojoules)
Half a cup shredded coconut
Half a cup wholemeal spelt flour
2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
1 Tablespoon honey
3 egg whites
One third (1/3) of a cup sweetener (honey/maple syrup)
Juice and zest of 2 large lemons (or 3 small/medium)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup wholemeal spelt flour
1. Preheat oven on 180 degrees.
2. Combine shredded coconut, flour, oil and honey in a blender until well mixed.
3. Press dough evenly into bottom of prepared baking pan (~20x15cm) and bake until light golden brown (10-15 min).
4. Whisk egg, egg white, and the honey-syrup mixture in a large bowl until blended. Grate zest and squeeze juice from lemon; add to egg mixture. Add baking powder and flour. Mix thoroughly.
5. Pour lemon mixture over cooled base. Bake until just set and edges are light brown (about 20 minutes). *be careful to overcook here as you will lose the gooeyness characteristic of a lemon slice
6. Cool and lightly dust with icing sugar using a mesh strainer. Slice into squares.
For an extra bit of fancy, you can combine ricotta with some maple syrup and lemon zest to serve on the side. Greek yoghurt would also be divine!
Go do yourself a favour and make a batch of these. Then hurry right back and come and tell me how you liked them. I will be a very happy girl.
Would you like more recipes like these?